Ernest Prescott was born 4 December 1867, the son of the Vocar of St Michael’s Paddington, the Reverent George Frederick Prescott and his wife Sarah.
A strong rugby player he was caped in the XV from 1883 through to 1886, captaining the side in his last year (which is shown below). He made 233 appearances for the XV, the third highest number, and the photograph above shows him as a member of the illustrious ‘200 Club’. He also played for the County.
He followed in his father’s footsteps going up to Cambridge, but choosing St John’s rather than his Father’s Trinity, and was a Sizar, taking his degree in 1889. He was President of the University Swimming Club in 1889.
He was an active OMT in addition to the Lodge, captaining the OMTFC in 1891-96 and being the Hon Treasurer of the OMT Club from 1986 through to 1921, and President in 1904-05.
He was a solicitor by profession,
His interest in rugby did not wain after school and university, he founded Guildford Rugby Club, was President of the Middlesex RFU, and became President of the Rugby Union in both 1920-21 and 1921-22. He became Treasurer of the RFU in 1924. He also open the New Stand (now the Breedon Stand) at Leicester’s Welford road on 2 October 1920.
He was also a Liveryman and member of the Court of the Marchant Taylors’ Company.
He was Master of the Lodge in 1908.
He died at Brantyngeshay, Chilworth, Surrey, on 28 January 1933, aged 65.