“The Hall Stone Jewel was conferred on this Lodge by the MWGM. Its form is symbolic, for on the side squares are inscribed the dates 1914-1918; four years of supreme sacrifice. In the centre is a winged figure, representing Peace, supporting a temple in memory of those Brethren who made the supreme sacrifice in the cause of King and their country. It should ever provide an inspiration to every Brother to put service before self.”
The members of our Lodge and every Hall Stone Lodge hear these words once a year, every year, at Installation, to serve as a reminder of the supreme sacrifice made by all those who fought for this country in the Great War.
Freemasons’ Hall in London was built to be a living memorial to the Fallen. It was funded by Brethren, Lodges and Provinces and Districts as part of the Masonic Million Memorial Fund.
A total of 1321 English Constitution Craft Lodges qualified for the honorific of being known as Hall Stone Lodges as a result, and Sir Thomas White Lodge is one of them.
The “Masonic Peace Memorial” was completed by 1933. As shown in the June Quarterly Communications of Grand Lodge of 1938 the final report of the Fund recorded the building having been handed over with the building finally being handed over in 1937. The Masonic Million Memorial Fund closed its account in 1938. The following year peace would be shattered by the outbreak of another war which saw conflict on a global scale. It is probably for this reason that the “Masonic Peace Memorial” was renamed to “Freemasons’ Hall” in 1939.
What is not so generally well known is that one of the co-Architects of Freemasons’ Hall was an OMT – H.V.Ashley (1896-99) who was also a member of our Lodge.