John Morant Hervey (1805–1880) was an OMT and the Grand Secretary of the United Grand Lodge of England who consecrated Sir Thomas White Lodge No 1820.
He was born in Cleveland Row, St James’s, London on 1 April 1805, the second son of Doctor William Hervey of Norwich.
Hervey had been a scholar at Merchant Taylors and was the owner of an iron foundry in east London called the Thames Foundry.
He was initiated as a freemason in Royal York Lodge of Perseverance No 7 in London in 1844, which Lodge he served as Worshipful Master in 1850, 1856 and 1868. He became a joining member of the Lodge of Unions No 256. He became very active in the Emulation Lodge of Improvement and devoted considerable time and effort to its works. In Royal Arch he was exalted in Royal York Chapter of Perseverance No 7.
He was appointed Grand Standard Bearer by the Supreme Grand Chapter of Royal Arch Masons of England in 1854 and served as Grand Scribe E from 1868 until 1880. He also became a member Bon Accord Lodge TI of the Mark Master Masons, a member of the Ancient and Accepted Rite, where he was awarded 32º, a member of the Red Cross of Constantine, a Knight Templar, a member of the Royal and Select Masters and a member of the Royal Order of Scotland. He was appointed Senior Grand Deacon by the United Grand Lodge of England in 1854 and served as Grand Secretary from 1868 until he retired due to ill health on 15 November 1879.
He also became a member of Traveller’s Rest Lodge of the Manchester Union Independent Order of Oddfellows.
He died on 2 July 1880.
In the portrait above he is wearing the regalia of the Grand Secretary, whose emblem is a pair of crossed quills. He is also wearing a number of Masonic medals, known as jewels, some of which were awarded to him for his charity work or for attending specific Masonic events. The painting is in the Collection of the Museum & Library of Freemasons’ Hall, London.